Importing app users manually
Import details of app users from a .csv file or Excel spreadsheet.
You can import user information for a particular app using an Excel spreadsheet or .csv file. This is useful for apps that do not benefit from a direct integration and for which usage data is not available from your identity provider (IdP).
Importing app user information into Trelica helps you to build a complete picture of app usage within your organization. By recording who has access to particular apps you can:
- Monitor how licenses are allocated and identify savings opportunities.
- Ensure new starters have access to the apps they need.
- Revoke access to apps when people leave your organization and reclaim unused seats.
If app user data is not available from an integration, we recommend updating user data via an import at least once a month.
You can use an import to both record new app users and update details for existing app users. Many apps allow you to export app user details to an Excel spreadsheet or .csv file, which you can then import to Trelica directly.
🧙♂️ Importing app users to Trelica manually does not create or update users in the app itself. To be able to create or update app users from Trelica, set up a direct integration.
To import user information for a particular app:
- 2.Select the Users tab. Any app users that have previously been recorded in Trelica are listed. This may include users discovered by an existing IdP integration (such as G Suite or Azure AD) and users that have been added manually.
- 3.Expand the context menu and select Import. The app user import wizard is displayed.The context menu on the App Users tab.
- 4.Select the file containing the user data for the app. Any app users that have previously been recorded in Trelica via an import should be included in the file; any users created from a previous import that are not included in the file will be deleted.
- 5.Date and time exported records when the user data was exported from the app. This information is used to determine the accuracy of the app user data. Change the date and time as required and then click Next.
- 6.The Mapping step is displayed. Trelica attempts to map the fields in the file to fields in Trelica. To add or change mappings, click the drop-down boxes and select from the lists. Data from any fields that are not mapped is not imported.
- Email - The email address of the app user. This must be provided for each user in the file. If you are recording a new app user and the email address matches an existing person record, the app user details are associated with that person. If the email address does not match an existing person, a new person record is created in Trelica. If you are updating an existing app user and the data does not include a user ID (see below), Trelica will use the email address to match details to existing app users.
- Status - Indicates whether the user account in the app is active, suspended, deactivated or archived. If a status is not provided, new users are set to active by default. To update the status of an existing user, a new value must be provided.
- Role - The user's permission level in the app. This is useful for recording which users have administrator access or other elevated permissions.
- License - The type of license assigned to the user. Recording which tier or license type has been allocated to each app user is useful for understanding usage and calculating potential savings. Where applicable, ensure the text matches the license plan name displayed on the App Licenses tab.
- Last login - The date of the user's last login to the app. This information is useful for determining app usage levels.
- Created date - The date the user account was created in the app.
- Full name - If app users' names are split into first name and last name in the file, select Full name is split into columns for first and last name from the options below the mapping table.
- User ID - A unique identifier, such as a user name. This may be provided in addition to the user's email address. When updating existing app user details, user ID is used in preference to email address to match the imported data to existing records.
- 7.Once you have finished mapping the fields, click Import. The progress of the import and the changes that are made as a result of the import are displayed.
- 8.Once the import is complete, click Review. The App Users list is displayed, filtered to active and suspended users. To view all app users, clear the Status filter.
App user details with a link to view the full user profile.
To edit an individual app user's details, expand the context menu and select Edit in Trelica. To make changes to multiple app users, import a new file.
The user context menu on the App Users tab.